Please Give Your Support For New Sports Facilities at Guildford County School!
You may be aware that over the past year the Club has been developing a partnership with Guildford County School, who are seeking to build a new sports facility on their Farnham Road site. Planning application is now open for public consultation on the Guildford Borough Council website and can be viewed here, reference 17/P/01061.
The plan includes:
- A new indoor sports hall on the site of the school’s ‘New Gym’, to meet government and Sport England minimum recommendations
- An artificial, green, all-weather playing surface – a MUGA (Multi-Use Games Area)
- Improved ancillary facilities, including better outdoor social space and changing areas, a multi-gym, dance/fitness studio and disabled access
- A new school car park to improve student safety on site.
Worplesdon Rangers FC has been working with the school to help define user needs in the local community and the school has since secured funding for the all-weather pitch. GCS now simply needs the necessary planning permission so that work can start on building this new facility, benefiting both GCS pupils and local community users, such as Worplesdon Rangers FC.
Sean Crooke, WRFC Club Development Officer, has been working with Claudia Drake, Marketing and Development Officer at Guildford County, to help define the specification. In calling for active support from WRFC members with planning permission, Claudia recently commented: ‘Please help us to make a new all-weather football training venue for Guildford a reality for your football teams by supporting our application. Thank you!’
Call To Action: How Can I Help?
The Club is asking all WRFC Members to spend 2-3 minutes of their time undertaking the following, before the deadline of 16th June 2017:
- Log on to the Guildford Borough Council planning consultation web page here
- Provide some supportive comments regarding the school’s proposals, in recognition of the dire shortage of MUGA playing surfaces in and around Guildford that our Club can hire at a reasonable cost.
Comments and letters of support really do make a difference to the school’s chances of success!
Please support Guildford County School and Worplesdon Rangers FC to help secure another valuable and affordable sports facility for all our children in the area.