Wednesday, 19 June 2024 - 11.58 am

Farncombe’s Fury No Match for WRFC U14 Hawks

Farncombe Youth Fury 3 – 4 WRFC U14 Hawks

Sunday 1st May 2016

By Our Touchline Correspondent, Sam Prince

WRFC U14 Hawks: 3rd Place Finish?

WRFC U14 Hawks: 3rd Place Finish?

Today’s game was a ‘must-win’ for the Hawks, who were back in favoured third position with just two games to go – and with Fleet breathing closely down their necks, needed to scrap for the three points. With a couple of Hawks’ stronger players out for this game, a move around for some players was needed, with the man of many positions, Adam, playing in centre midfield for the first time, covering for our engine, Conor (who had other commitments), the game was underway.

The Hawks started very sloppy, their formation was all over the place, and the team just couldn’t seem to hold possession.  However, on the tenth minute, top goalscorer Freddie came up with the goods once again to put us ahead. Hawks had the game in their hands from this point on, although Farncombe’s very pacey attack countered on a fault from Worplesdon to equalise 1-1.

Hawks again gained possession, searching for the lead, and with their ‘whippet on the wing’, Barney, breaking through Farncombe’s defence, the players thought this was their chance.  However, their last man pulled Barney down, with the ref’ deeming it to be ‘a good tackle’. This made Hawks even more hungry for the win, and up stepped Adam to win the ball off Farncombe’s ‘keeper and finish in the bottom corner of the net, 2-1.  Hawks were dominating before half-time, and Kurt countered on yet another mistake from Farncombe’s goalkeeper.  However, this one was apparently offside.  Farncombe had enough time for one more attack before half-time, and took their chance to go into the break at 2-2.

As the second half began, Hawks found their structure that had been their friend through the past 18 games of the season….A good string of passes from the midfield saw Freddie through for his second of the game to put Hawks 3-2 ahead. Not long after this, a deja vu moment, where Freddie repeated what he had done just minutes earlier, to grab his first hat-rick of the season and to pretty much cement his name on the top scorer trophy, 4-2.  A goal kick from Hawks reached Farncombe’s feet….and with Matt off his line from the kick, the opposition countered yet again, with a quality finish from outside the area to pull one back to make it 4-3.  A nervy finish was on the table for Worplesdon.

It was a hard fought game, however I feel that the result was a fair reflection on the game itself and this win saw Hawks go three points clear of Fleet, with just one game to go.


Leave a Reply